Friday, January 13, 2006

Forged Credentials and Security - Crooks Flashing Fake Badges

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to solve this. How do we effectively authenticate individuals? Especially when people aren't trained to do so...

When Frank Coco pulled over a 24-year-old carpenter for driving erratically on Interstate 55, Coco was furious. Coco was driving his white Chevy Caprice with flashing lights and had to race in front of the young man and slam on his brakes to force him to stop.

Coco flashed his badge and shouted at the driver, Joe Lilja: "I'm a cop and when I tell you to pull over, you pull over, you motherf-----!"

Coco punched Lilja in the face and tried to drag him out of his car.

But Lilja wasn't resisting arrest. He wasn't even sure what he'd done wrong.

"I thought, 'Oh my God, I can't believe he's hitting me,' " Lilja recalled.

It was only after Lilja sped off to escape -- leading Coco on a tire-squealing, 90-mph chase through the southwest suburbs -- that Lilja learned the truth.

Coco wasn't a cop at all.

He was a criminal.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2018 e2e Security. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan